position of marble threshold

Users who are viewing this thread

sailiff

Reaction score
I'm removing carpet from the spare bath and replacing it with marble tile. Bath entrance butts up to hallway (which has carpet) i'm going to put a marble threshold piece down but have had conflicting advice on where the threshold should be placed. Place it in the door step where you can't see once the door is closed or place it to the outer door jamb where u can see half of it when the door is closed. :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A lot of people like the transition undeneath the door...in the bathroom, you see tile and threshold, in the hall, you see carpet. But, whatever you prefer is 'right'.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Unlike Dave I am a half/half man myself. My threshold can be seen in both the hallway and the bathroom where I transition from beige tile to dark hardwood floor.

But like Dave, I too have a beige marble threshold. It was a bugger to find (most places only have pink) and very expensive for what it is. That's why I like to see it.

It would also depend on what implications it might have for your tiling inside the bathroom. I would not want unevenly cut tiles just to accomodate the threshold. Better to keep it in line with the wall.

Last edited:

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
Thresholds go in the doorway... thus the definition of the word :)

I'd tend to agree with jimbo, though the "correct" answer is that it goes under the door. You naturally step over a threshold in the middle of a door and if you locate it elsewhere you're more likely to trip over it.

I'm also unsure what the profile of this thing looks like. Is it just a small transition strip with a roundover or chamfer? I have marble thresholds @ all tile/wood transitions, but they are the full width of the jambs, so there's little question as to where they go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks