What order: Wonderboard, tile, flange

Users who are viewing this thread

idloveaguinness

Reaction score
Hi -

Glad I found this place....

OK - here's the setup. Pro's got me all the way to 5/8" plywood with a lead pipe (3"?) sticking out of a 4" (or so) hole in the plywood that I need to connect to a flange. I've got about 16" of the lead pipe to work with. Now my questions:

Is the correct order of events: Mortar, 1/2" wonderboard, flange, tile?

Does the flange "lip" rest on the plywood or wonderboard? Do the flange and tile ultimately need to be flush with each other?

How do I connect the lead pipe to a flange? Is there a special flange I should use?

Thanks for any comments....since I'm working with a clean slate, I wanted to get it right the first time.

Regards,
Kevin

edit: If anyone has seen a cross-section diagram, that would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you have the option, a correctly installed toilet flange sits on TOP of the finished flooring. To make things easier, notch the tile so you don't have to drill holes through the tile.

remodelingit

Reaction score
Everything you could ever need to know about tiling can be found at the John Bridge tiling forum. His "Liberry" has some good stuff on the basics in it. Plenty of pros are willing to provide advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks