View Full Version : Getting fancy--replacing pressure valve w/ thermostatic valve

02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello--I have a question. Pressure balanced or thermostatic?

I'm replacing my tub and tiling the alcove, so now is the time to do other little upgrades. So I got the Hansgrohe Raindance Connect (http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/us_en/26243_31353830335F32375F3436373433.htm) and have decided I need to change out my Delta Monitor 17000 volume control/temp (pressure-balanced), trim, and tub spout w/diverter.

I want to get a Hansgrohe thermostatic valve, trim, and tub spout with no diverter. The trim has the added feature of an integrated diverter so I will have a nice clean tub spout.

The thing is, I could use my existing Delta stuff with the new shower. But will I regret not having a thermostatic valve? It seems as though people really like them.

Thanks very much.


02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Then buy a Delta themostatic 1700 T cartridge and put it in your valve.

02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but apparently the 17T will not fit my older 1700. From what I have seen on this forum, it looks as though the thermo is the way to go. So - I will go thermo with new stuff.

Thanks again.

02-13-2009, 06:49 AM
When I installed my 1700, not the new universal body, it was thermstatic adaptable even though the control was not available. I will have to check with Delta, but from my observation, ALL 1700 cores are the same, regardless of age. Unless you do not really have a 1700 with the separate volume and temperature handles.

02-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi hj - thanks for the reply. It is definitely a Delta 1700, with temp and volume adjustments. I was basing the unavailability on a diagram I found on this forum in this post:


There is a cartridge summary reference sheet pictured there that I interpreted to mean that my version wouldn't work with a T valve.

This is all quite new to me so I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. Thank you.