Relocating Toilet on slab eeekk

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdunbar

Reaction score
After getting a quote for $1200 to move my toilet 10 feet, I am seriously considering just DIY.
I have gutted the bathroom. The original toilet location is a 4 inch cast iron. It goes back to the wall (it is about 15 inches away from the wall BTW) with an elbow. There is a clean out on the other side of the wall (which happens to be the garage and I've removed walls in there so it is all accessible). The vent seems to be the main stack, right behind the toilet as well. There is a shower coming from the left side to the vent. There is also a double sink coming from the right side. The relocating of the toilet will actually put the toilet to the right of the sinks.
Also the new toiliet is to be roughed in at 12inches, and the area has a recessed wall behind, so it will be tough to make a straight shot to the old toilet drain, might have to be diagonal.

So now the questions:

1. Can I just run an Elbow out of the new toilet , running it to the left, connect a 10 foot section of 4 in ABS, slope would have to be 2.5 inches, right? Then it connects to exisiting cast iron pipe (which I would have to cut) with a 90 elbow horizontal towards the wall.

2. Could it use the exisiting vent?

3. Would I have to also put a new clean out on the back of the new toilet?

This is all assuming that I could do it as a straight shot. If I have to do diagonal, how would the fittings work??
i.e. lets say it has to be straight. From the toilet could I do a an Elbow pointing to the front of the toilet, then a 4 inch straight piece, then a 90 elbo to the left horizontal, then the 10 feet etc...

Hope this isn't to many questions. But I just dont have the funds to justify $1200 on a job. Crap man, gass is $2.45 a gallon out here

jeff

Gdunbar

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply from the man himself.
I thought I had read on your forums that you could go 10 feet with a 4in line without a vent?
let me know, as this will change my plans drastically.
jeff

Gdunbar

Reaction score
ok so now I need more help. Sounds like I should install a clean out or at least a Wye at the back of the toilet which I could run a vent off it and tie the vent into the stack, using 2 in. Though drilling 2in holes in each of the studs from that location is like 7 studs. I'd hate to have to run a new vent stack to the roof just for this toliet.

As I write this I just got one other estimate from a nationally known company, his price .... over $3,000. Makes my other quote look like nothing.
I am not giving up yet. If I can figure out how to do this, I will be quite impressed. I am hesitant to jackhammer beneath the stud wall for the vent/cleanout, but it sounds like thats the only way to do it. And I am even more afraid that there is a footing under the wall, which means big trouble for a jackhammer.
ideas?? Can I post a picture of my bathroom here?
jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks