Sink drain gurgles when toilet is flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Bess

Reaction score
Hi-

I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a thread that addresses this issue. I am a new homeowner, and know ZERO about plumbing, although I have picked up a bewildering amount of information in the last hour I have spent reading your posts!

Most of the time I flush my bathroom toilet (but not every single time) a loud gurgling sound comes from the bathroom sink. The toilet seems to flush normally and the sink drain seems to work properly.

This is a guest bathroom and does not get used very often...I am not sure if that makes a difference or not. I don't see a huge problem here since it's not causing any trouble, but my mother is convinced that one day the house will just float away because I never checked on this. And of course, she is usually right...

I hope I am not wasting anyone's time with a silly question or one that's been covered a milion times here. Feel free to ignore or ridicule this thread as you see fit! :)

Thanks so much for any help!
-Bess in Ohio

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like the toilet is sucking the water from the p-trap on the lav.
The reason it doesn't always happen, is that the previous flush sucked the trap dry.
If the trap dries out, sewer gas can enter the home.
If the lav is plumbed right, the trap won't siphon dry.
An easy fix is to add a Studor vent like in the picture.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks