Min/Max projection on a Kohler Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

noreast

Reaction score
Hello All!

Great board here for a wanna be DIY like myself ;)

I'm installing a Kohler k-679 Thermostatic Valve and I'm not sure where to set it? The diagram below is in the installation manual but I'm not sure where it should be set so that the trim mounts flush to the wall.

I'll be using 1/2 cement/backer board and then a 1/4 tile to finish.

Any suggestions as to whether it should be set to Min or Max?

Thanks for any advice.

George

Attachments

• kohlervalve.jpg
    kohlervalve.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 315

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is install the trim on the valve before you mount it and see how much you like the handle to stick out into the shower. If the valve is mounted so it sticks too far into the shower, you won't be able to get the trim to seal (it will still flop around after you've bottomed out the screws). If it is burried too far in the wall, you won't be able to attach the trim at all (screws won't be long enough, and/or there won't be enough sticking out to attach the handle at all). As long as the finished wall falls between the min/max lines, you can attach the trim and seal things, but it's your decision on how well you like it sticking out, or close to the wall. Personally, I don't like it sticking out all the way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

IF you mess up and do not get it installed between the two dimensions, you could have a problem. If it is too far out, there are seldom "shallow installation" accessories so you have to jury rig something and live with it. Many manufacturers, but not all, make "deep installation" extensions which will usually bail you out. In most cases setting at the mid point between the two is the safest, since it accomodates both a thinner or a thicker wall than originally anticipated or specified.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks