View Full Version : replacing Vent pipe in Kitchen

10-15-2004, 05:29 PM
had the house inspected today and the on;y thing holding the closing now for the second time in a month is a Vent Pipe in the kitchen...
It is a flat roof here in florida now when i go up on the roof the vent pipe has a metal pipe and then a plastic pipe around it with maybe what looks like 1/4 inch between the 2 pipes. He said it should be replaced because the plastic is cracking and is almost below thetop point of the metal pipe.
Not sure how to fix this? Is there something i can put over it the roof is a rolled roof i guess you can call it???
it is sealed around the pipe, and not a shingle roof.
not sure how to handle this sure do not want to call a roofer but if i have to i guess i have no choice.

10-16-2004, 03:03 PM
On flat roofs, we sometimes use a "lead flashing".
These can be put down with tar and some flat head nails.
Roof patch can be bought in gallon cans.
It could be considered a "handyman" type of job.
The top of the flashing is bent in so that opening is smaller, thus no water dripping down the side of the vent pipe.