Sink (kitchen and bath lav) DWV rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
Doing major renovation in old house and totally replacing DWV. Will be installing several bath lavs and one 3-bowl kitchen sink with garbage disposal and dishwasher.

Previously got advice that I like re: the 3-bowl sink. Planning to use 3 individual traps that will attach to 3 drains at the wall (accomplished with a sani T and sani cross stacked. cross will have 2 short arms to left and right with 1/4 bends pointed out of the wall).

My question now is how exact does the rough in have to be horizontally in relation to the drain center lines? If I don't get it in exactly the right place how to I deal with attaching the trap arm to the drain if the arm doesn't intersect the drain at 90 degrees?

Also, is there a standard for the vertical height of the drain inlet for kitchen sink or bath lav?

Thanks,
Joel

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The center bowl is usuall shallower than the other two, so use that as the starting point for your "street" sanitary tee above the "back to back" fixture fitting, (not a regular sanitary cross), and then let the other drains' height be determined by that. If you do not get the drains in the exact location, or close enough for the trap swing to reach them then you can use 1/16 or 1/8 bends under the sink to line up with the traps.

Jwray

Reaction score
Good news

Thanks again HJ. Appreciate all the quick replies.

I will try to get the rough in as exact as I can, but you know how things can go sometimes between the rough in and finish work - plans change (especially when you don't do this every day :) ).

Good to hear I can "fix" things with some small bends if necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks