an old flange, and an old trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an old flange,and an old trap, and a couple of questions about them
I plan on installing a new floor and refinishing my walls. (in a basement)

My flange is attached to the trap (in one piece), as you can see from the picture. It seems to been in good shape, except for one issue. An issue with this flange, is that it is not "solid" in it's position, I can wobble it if I put enough force as some of the concrete securing it to the foundation has deteriorated over the years. There now remains a void around the flange. I figured that a good way to secure it is to install some self leveling cement in that void,trying to not get any where the bolts should go. Is this a good idea? if not, is there another solution to secure the trap?

My second question is regarding the next two pictures. It is the remains of the trap from my sink (the sink was bolted to the wall). What I want to know, is of I will have to demolish part of the wall so that the old trap can be properly removed, or can a plumber work with what is there to attached a new trap to the old metal one somehow?
thanks

Attachments

• flange1.jpg
    flange1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 253
  • trap1.jpg
    trap1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 245
  • trap2.jpg
    trap2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 243

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Question 1 - I like to use hydraulic cement for things like this. It dries quick ans swell slightly to fill in the gaps.

Question 2 - If you plumber has "skills" he should be able to handle that without tearing up the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

The movement of the flange would be taken care of by properly securing it to the floor. The trap appears to be soldered in, so you will want the plumber to remove that part, BEFORE you do anything else, so the burn marks can be painted over.

Gramps

Reaction score
The movement of the flange would be taken care of by properly securing it to the floor. The trap appears to be soldered in, so you will want the plumber to remove that part, BEFORE you do anything else, so the burn marks can be painted over.

When you say "remove the part", can that be done without destroying part of that wall to get to the connection?

what burn marks are you referring to?

Gramps

Reaction score
Question 1 - I like to use hydraulic cement for things like this. It dries quick ans swell slightly to fill in the gaps.

what exactly is hydrolic cement? what manufacture, product would you recommend that produces this cement. Also it is cement that can easily be mixed?

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non-professional guesswork and opinion

When you say "remove the part", can that be done without destroying part of that wall to get to the connection?

what burn marks are you referring to?

The trap arm pictured appears to be soldered to the pipe at the wall. To remove it or service it in any way will require heating it with a torch, and inevitably scorching the wall around the joint. It may require opening up a bit of wall around the pipe. You will want to get that part of the process out of the way before you start finishing the wall.

If you bring in a pro, I suspect he or she will install a trap adapter, and after that you can install the sink and hook up the new trap as a DIY proposition.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hydrolic cement is a type of Portland cement that mixes with water to a dough like consistency and is used to seal and plug holes and cracks in concrete. I will harden underwater and under pressure. There are several brands, two I can think of immediately are Quickcrete and WaterPlug. You mix this in small amounts as it must be applied very quickly before it sets. Wear rubber gloves as it is heavy with lime and will burn your skin.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The pipe sticking out of the wall will have to be heated with a flame. Since it is right next to the wall, there will be scorching. It will be safer if the wall is NOT damaged so the flame cannot get inside the wall. If you do not do it until later, any new wall finish or cabinets will be damaged. Either when the trap is removed or the new connector is installed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hydraulic

My experience with hydraulic cement.
I had a situation where I needed some hydraulic cement. I told the purchasing agent to get me some. After making calls for several hours he told me he could not find any, but could I use another type of cement. I told him to get me some of the cement we used to use in manholes to form the bottoms. He came back telling me they did not have any, but could I use "hydraulic cement"? After some snickering, I told him yes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks