Long Term Life Of CEFIONTECT Finsish

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
Was wodering if there is any data that suggests CEFIONTECT will last over the many years of cleaning.

Are there some cleaners to avoid that ruin the coated finish?

Dan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The beauty of CEFIONTECT is that it makes the surface so smooth, that for the rare times you need to clean, you only need to brush it. No harsh chemicals that could pit it and ruin the surface. On the outside, a damp (disinfectant if desired) cloth and its done. I've got two toilets and a sink with it...works great.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect_instructions.pdf

• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanMcD

Reaction score
Contacted Toto: Long Term Life Of CEFIONTECT Finish

I have contacted Toto and ask them this question. I will share their answer with all once I hear back.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Toto Reply On CEFIONTECT "life expectancy"

Below is what Toto had to say:

-------------------------
Subject: RE: Toto USA - CEFIONTECT

Dear Mr. McDermott,

Try and avoid abrasive cleaners such as Comet. Any type of cleaner with any "grit" to it will cut into the fine surface on a microscopic level and diminish the effectiveness of the glaze. While Toto claims that it will last the life of the toilet, you are correct, toilets do not have a "life" attached to them as it is often that they can last for decades. To best understand the life expectancy of CEFIONTECT one would need to understand the technological basis behind it. When a toilet bowl gets stains in it, they come from minerals or dirt attaching themselves to microscopic crevices in the china surface. CEFIONTECT glaze is a very fine atomic coating on top of the china surface which does not have many crevices for any type of mineral or dirt to cling on to. This smooth surface makes it very hard for any type of stain to attach itself to the bowl. The glaze will last as long as that smooth surface is not compromised. If you were to use a cleanser such as Comet, which has a very high grit to it, you would make microscopic etches in the surface of the glaze. These etches would not only give a place for minerals and dirt to cling to, but they would most likely propagate to some degree causing further damage. Of course over the life of the toilet there will be small etches in the surface over the course of time for various reasons due to wear and tear. Because it is extremely hard to measure the effectiveness of the CEFIONTECT glaze and because it is difficult to create a realistic life model of an installation situation to mimic real usage over the course of such an extended period of time, Toto does not attach a "life expectancy" to the CEFIONTECT glaze. I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,
Steven Culver
Technical Support Engineer
Toto USA
Phone - 888-295-8134 ext. 1640
WWW.TotoUSA.Com
WWW.Washlet.Com
WWW.TotoNeorest.Com

Subject: Re: Toto USA - CEFIONTECT

What are some examples of abrasive cleaning agents to avoid?

Dear Mr. McDermott,

Your CEFIONTECT glaze will last the life of the toilet. As long as you stay
away from abrasive cleaning agents which will etch away at the CEFIONTECT
surface there is no reason to expect failure of the finish.

Sincerely,
Steven Culver
Technical Support Engineer
Toto USA
Phone - 888-295-8134 ext. 1640
WWW.TotoUSA.Com
WWW.Washlet.Com
WWW.TotoNeorest.Com

colden

Reaction score
CEFIONTECT Worth the Extra Cost?

Is the Toto CEFIONTECT worth the extra dollars?

Spokaneman

Reaction score
I installed two Vespins with Sanigloss a month ago, and in my opinion, they are far superior to standard toilets in terms of cleanliness.

I selected the Vespins because they were one of the few two piece units that you could get Sanigloss in colors. There were a couple of other models I would have rather had, but went with the model where SG was available in the color I wanted

Interestingly, at least where you can buy the same models in Sanigloss, and non Sanigloss (the Vespin is an example), that there is not a significant price upcharge for the SG. I wonder why Toto doesn't just make all their toilets in SG. .

colden

Reaction score
I decided to go for the SG. Even though I won't keep my home forever, the next owners will be happier for it. :)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, what is Sanigloss anywa? I mean is it an actual polymer coating or is it just a marketing name for another "special" heat treated glaze?

Glazing pottery/china has been done for thousands of years-the principle remains the same.

Cursory research reveals that Toto began making utilitarian toilets and within about 15 years entered the high end market as well.
You need bells and whistles to further justify higher prices or marketing claims.
Also if something were to go very wrong with sanigloss in the future..say if they all cracked or yellowed in 10 years for instance then they still have their regular line of product

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
colden said:
I decided to go for the SG. Even though I won't keep my home forever, the next owners will be happier for it. :)

That's a very interesting statement.
When I bought my home 5 years ago I slowly discovered that the previous owner had used and installed bargain rack-plain wrap-low quality
details in the entire house. Everything from wall switches,screws, paint, hinges,valves-and all accessories in baths and kitchen.
Cheapest crap she could find.

I am slowly replacing every single thing in this house, and you know what?
The next family that owns this house will know that the previous owner
cared about what he was doing and it shows. It's about respect and pride for yourself and the next guy. All brass,heavy gage metals,high ratings etc.
Im not saying I would leave behind a sub-zero fridge (if I had one)...but you get my meaning here...

Spokaneman

Reaction score
The interesting thing about SaniGloss is that at least in the one toilet model where both standard and SG finish is offered (the Vespin) the SaniGloss is actually cheaper, 466 for Regular and 437 for SG, suggested list, and the offered price is cheaper as well. That makes no sense to me as the SG would appear to be a premium feature, and in my experience with SG it really does work as advertised.

If I were the ToTo marketing VP and SG really was cheaper to produce, I would offer it exclusively and hammer the bejesus out of the competition with it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it is the same company that makes Rain-X, in fact, it might be the same thing, just packaged for a different use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks