dual flush toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

dwarg

Reaction score
I am starting a bathroom remodel and I am thinking about using a dual flush toilet to save on water going into my septic tank. We are in a low area and when we get a lot of rain the toilets get hard to flush b/c the septic tank is full. Anyway my wife likes the concealed trapway design for cleaning purposes. I am looking at the Toto aquia. I like the price of the unit and it gets good reviews except for installation. Give me some advice. Is it that hard to install? I am going to use tile, but I can install the toilet on the subfloor first and the tile around the toilet if this would be a better installation. Please advise.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Install it on top of the tiled floor. For about $15 you can buy a diamond bit that will go through the tile and make it easy. This toilet (and any of the Totos that use the Unifit adapter) need a few more holes in the floor to mount them than a typical toilet that only attaches to the flange (some totos work this way, too). The hard part about it is that a typical plumber doesn't want to take the time to read the instructions as it does install differently than a 'typical' toilet. Thus, it takes them a little longer, and maybe a lot if they don't have the right tools. Trying to drill through a hard porcelain floor tile without the right bits can take forever. Time is money. For a homeowner, it's an annoyance, not preventing you from getting to the next job.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Aquia would be a very good choice. However, the Eco Drake costs less and uses only 1.28 gallons of water per flush so your water usage concern would be met. Just by going to a low flow toilet you will be cutting water usage by 65% regardless of the model.

dwarg

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. The eco-drake doesn't have a concealed trapway for easy cleaning. That is one thing my wife wants.

yona4u

Reaction score
great looking dual flush toilet!!

My fiance and I recently purchased a dual flush toilet The toilets are somewhat pricey. We ordered the sheffield dual flush toilet. The installation was simple and we are very happy with saving our water as we have a well and septic. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Aquia Dual Flush does take a little more time then most toilets.

When we install on tile, we have a Bosch Rotohammer that makes quick work of the holes.
We charge $20 more to do these.
They do look so nice when finished though.

Whenever you replace floors, the toilet is the "last" thing to go down.
Complete the floor, and then drop the bowl onto the new floor.
Well, not "Drop!" exactly, but set it down last.

Our returns on the Aquia are less than 1%
The quality is very good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks