Water Heater Noise Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
I"m got a hot water heater at work that is making this god awful sound that is resonating(sp) up through the floors. I'm not at work right now and I don't have all the information on it but I'll try to give the best descriptioin possible.

The water heater has got to be at least 100 to 150 gal maybe more. It serves our main kitchen area and the showers in the fitness center. It is electric, has an expantion tank and a circulating pump installed. The sound, for lack of a better distription, sounds like a chain being pulled through the whole system. It is not a constant sound but it's like the guy pulling the chain takes a break for a few minutes and then gives a big yank. We can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from. We have changed out the circulating pump being that it's the only thing with moveable parts and we still are getting this noise.

We've been working on this for about a month now on and off. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Does it go away if you shut off the recirculation loop?

Does it happen only during heating with the lower element?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

The pump is not the only thing with moving parts. The check valve has a flap that can bounce up and down under the right conditions. One of them being if a pressure drop can overwhelm the pump's flow causing the flap to bang shut.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater noise

For all plumbers out there if you have a Commc. 100 gal. Or more water heater it pretty much means it has more then one lower element,
on this kind of water heater i have seen anywhere from two up to 9 or more
elements,

The noise problem is eather caused by check valve as noted above
or could be caused by lime buildup in tank and on elements which is what i think "REDWOOD" was getting to

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks