Ice Maker Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin1960

Reaction score
Just bought an Ice Maker and want to fit it in the garage on a wall that backs onto a half bathroom (Dry Wall) I know I can cut the dry wall and tap in to the water delivery no problem but can I run the drain from the ice maker to a low point on the sink drain (Below the U bend?) Would I need a one way check valve? Any help appreciated.:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You would need an air gap to prevent the possibility that a backup might pollute all of your ice with sewage.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
my non-professional opinion

My non-professional opinion is that the drain is going to go into an air gap and then join the tailpiece of the sink drain above the trap. Like a dishwasher drain.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You cannot make a connection below a trap. You cannot allow possible cross connection of a machine...icemaker, dishwasher, etc. with a backed up drain, and a check valve does not meet code for this protection.

So an air gap, such as is used for dishwashers and RO filters, or a standpipe, such as is used for washing machines. If your ice machine has a pumped drain, this is easy. If it is a gravity drain, it is back to the drawing board!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks