New Sink P Trap Kit Won't Fit with Old P Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

rjboykin

Reaction score
I am remodeling our bathroom and yesterday I with out and got a new sink and faucet. The drain pipes from the new sink are 1 1/4 and the old drain pipe is slightly bigger at 1 1/2. I went our yesterday and purchased a 1 1/4 P Trap kit with a plastic rub ring that slides up the sink drain pump and screws secure. The issue I am running into is that P Trap coming out of the wall is the old 1 1/2 and it won't come off. Is there something made that if I cut the end of the pipe from the wall making it straight, right now it comes out of the wall straight and then has a slight curve downward. If I saw some of it off making it straight is the something that can slip on tight on the 1 1/2 end and the other end be compatible with the 1 1/4 P Trap from out new sink. This is really stressing me out trying to figure out how to do that because at this point I have no idea. Please help.

- Joey

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The least stressful solution would be to call a plumber and have him do it correctly, which your way would not be. Without a picture we are just guessing, but I assume your drain is connected with a "solder bushing" which has to be carefully cut out and removed. Then a conventional drain connection can replace it.

rjboykin

Reaction score
I definitely wanted to try and save some money and calling out a plumber, they charge me $50 just to look at it before anything is done. Does anyone sell just the sink drain pipe in 1 1/2, maybe I can just get that and and we're good to go, is that right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Of course. 1 1/2" traps are as common, if not more so, than 1 1/4" ones. But unless your wall bend is in good shape you are just postponing the inevitable. Find a plumber who is not on the flat rate system and does not charge a "Show up" fee. There are a lot of us out there, but not advertising on the television.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks