Philly code clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Philly Guy

Reaction score
I need some clarification on the Philly code for waste lines. I'm roughing in a 3 fixture bathroom. There is a CI 4" stack about 2.5 feet from where the wc is gonna go. I want to use two sanitary tees to connect the sink and tub drains separately into the 2.5 foot 4" horizontal branch going to the wc from the stack.

Section 903.6 of Philly's code reads: "Single and double sanitary tees shall be used in drainage lines only where the flow is from the horizontal to the vertical."

But section 1105.1.1 reads "Where the center of a water closet outlet is not more than 48 inches in developed length from the center of 4-inch vented soil pipe on a vertical line, or through a wye or wye and 1/8 bend on a vented horizontal line, connection of small fixture wastes - not exceeding two that are 1-1/2 inches or less in diameter - to the side of an ideal bend (closet bend) above the center line without an additional vent, or by using no-hub, copper, ABS or PVC pipe and fittings in accordance with Section P-902.0, shall be approved by the Department.

So if I want to connect the two drains to that short horizonal run of 4" pipe, do I have to use an ideal bend or can I use PVC sanitary tees ?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I need some clarification on the Philly code for waste lines. I'm roughing in a 3 fixture bathroom. There is a CI 4" stack about 2.5 feet from where the wc is gonna go. I want to use two sanitary tees to connect the sink and tub drains separately into the 2.5 foot 4" horizontal branch going to the wc from the stack.

Section 903.6 of Philly's code reads: "Single and double sanitary tees shall be used in drainage lines only where the flow is from the horizontal to the vertical."

But section 1105.1.1 reads "Where the center of a water closet outlet is not more than 48 inches in developed length from the center of 4-inch vented soil pipe on a vertical line, or through a wye or wye and 1/8 bend on a vented horizontal line, connection of small fixture wastes - not exceeding two that are 1-1/2 inches or less in diameter - to the side of an ideal bend (closet bend) above the center line without an additional vent, or by using no-hub, copper, ABS or PVC pipe and fittings in accordance with Section P-902.0, shall be approved by the Department.

So if I want to connect the two drains to that short horizonal run of 4" pipe, do I have to use an ideal bend or can I use PVC sanitary tees ?

Its best to call your local plumbing inspector and ask him what is allowed. Here in Illinois we have a base code which is the bare minimum, the cities, townships and villages can make the code stricter. So its always best to clarify your questions with the local inspector.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

The openings on a sanitary tee are on the centerline of the pipe. The code calls for the openings to be ABOVE the centerline, (i.e., even with the top of the pipe), the way they were on tapped cast iron closet bends back in the old days.

Philly Guy

Reaction score
hj, I have the old cast iron ideal bend that I took out of this house, and the threaded inlets are right on the centerline. This is why the code is not clear. If I used pvc sanitary tees I could essentially build my own ideal bend that would have the inlets at the same locations as the ci bend. I'd rather use all new pvc then break the flange off of the old ci bend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks