How do I stop this faucet from leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I have a leaky faucet that I guess probably needs a new cartridge or seat washer or whatever this faucet uses. However, I can't get to the "guts" of the faucet handle. When I take a handle off, there is no hex fastener that my plumbing book shows should be there. Do I need a "handle puller" if that's the right name, to pull off the base of the faucet? I can't imagine I'd have to remove the faucet from the sink to repair this, but I don't know. I can't find any manufacturer name or anything else printed anywhere on the faucet. Please help. :confused:

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Grab the escutcheon and thread it off, below is the hex you are looking for. Be careful not to twist the body of the faucet. If the escutcheon does not turn easily best to have someone hold back up on the body under the sink while you try to unthread it.

Last edited:

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I've never heard the term "execution" with regards to a faucet, though. Are you talking about the part under the handle or under the faucet (where the water comes out)?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The stainless part that is under that handle that looks like a dome. It screws off the body of the faucet exposing the hex that holds the cartridge down. I am sorry i used the spell checker on the word and selected "execution" instead of escutcheon. I do fail at spelling and spell checkers.

Last edited:

Msgale

Reaction score
escutcheon is what he meant to type, not execution.

it refers to the cover around the faucet.
you will need to find a way to grip it and unscrew it without marring it, which will be a challenge

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Thanks, I got that part off and managed to remove the stems from both handles. These are compression faucets with removable seats. The seats don't look like they're in bad shape at all (although I don't have a seat wrench, so I can't verify that now). The stems have a black o-ring in the middle and a clear rubber washer on the bottom. Is the clear washer what I want to replace? If you notice, the right stem is discolored (no longer bright brass). Can I assume that is the leaky stem or is that side just used more since it's the cold? Any other advice? Thanks again!

PS: That tiny piece on the left is metal "threading" for lack of a better word. It came out of the left side when I removed that stem. It doesn't appear to be broken off from the stem or the seat. I have no idea what it's from.

IMG_4012.jpg

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Well, now I've done it! I took out the seats to check them out and they were fine. So, I put the seats back in, replaced the O-rings on the stem (the clear rings on the bottom were not washers after all), and put the whole thing back together. After turning on the supply valves and turning on the handles, I got some water, but that quickly slowed to a trickle. I took on of the stems back off to see what the deal was. Just for the heck of it, I turned the other handle partway on and water started coming out of the hole where the stem I was working on sits. So I have water pressure, but nothing comes out the spigot when both stems are in place.

I'm totally lost. Can anybody help? :confused:

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Unscrew the aereator assembly from the end of the faucet spout & see if it has junk in it . It's located right where the water comes out of the faucet .

McMike

Plumber
Reaction score
it is not a compression faucet, it is a ceramic cartridge faucet, if you look at the bottom of the cartridge and turn the stem inside of the cartridge you will see a window open and close to allow water through, that metal stuff is foreign object material, probably solder from the pipework, and may have damaged the ceramics, at which point it is best to replace entire damaged cartridge, take piece to plumbing supply or well stocked hardware store to ensure new piece is correct part, if you were lucky the FO was only preventing the stem from closing all the way and the removal of this FO will have solved your problem

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stems

Those stems are "permanent" meaning they are not meant to be repaired. You replace the entire unit. The "seats" do not wear and should not have been removed because they are a "compression" seal, not a wear point.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
WV Hillbilly, you were correct. That was an easy fix, thanks!

Unfortunately, I still have the leak on the cold water side.

Thanks to everybody else for the feedback. I will have to run to the plumbing supply this weekend to see if they have replacement cartridges. Any idea how much a cartridge might cost? :confused:

Looking at my plumbing book, it says "In general, a ceramic-disk faucet is not a good choice if you experience sediment problems with your water..." Oops, we have hard water and a water softener. Maybe replacing the faucet altogether might be a better idea.

Thanks again for the help.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
That is an attractive faucet in my opinion . A new stem assembly would cost much less than a new faucet , especially if you have to hire a plumber to install it . That piece of solder or whatever it was that came out of the faucet could have damaged the stem that's leaking or there could still be something foreign stuck in it . I would examine the stem assembly as carefully as possible to see if something is still in it . Like someone said before , with the stem out you can turn it & look carefully in the holes , ect. Personally I would replace the stem ( if you can find one ) if necessary . If you want a new faucet anyway ,go for it . Junk ( like that piece of solder or whatever ) can cause problems for any faucet .

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
$10-40 for cartidges. I agree.Good looking faucet.Spend the dough for the cartridges drop them in (Plumbers grease on all threads and o rings!!!) and your done.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
$10-40 for cartidges. I agree.Good looking faucet.Spend the dough for the cartridges drop them in (Plumbers grease on all threads and o rings!!!) and your done.

Don't use Harvey's ( plumbers faucet & valve grease ) on the o-rings . I did & it ruined my o-rings . I replaced the o-rings & used 90% silicone grease made for the purpose . Everything is fine now .

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Don't use Harvey's ( plumbers faucet & valve grease ) on the o-rings . I did & it ruined my o-rings . I replaced the o-rings & used 90% silicone grease made for the purpose . Everything is fine now .
Nice to know! Thanks for the heads up!

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Well, I took the cartridge to my local plumbing supply and they didn't have a match. Referred me to another shop further away. I guess I will try that and then give up. I really wish the manufacturer had stamped their name on the faucet. Does anybody have any idea who might have made this faucet? I believe it is about 5-6 years old.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Don't know who made the faucet but lowe's , tru value hardware , home depot , ace hardware & others carry faucet stems .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks