sump pump questions

Users who are viewing this thread

JLease

Reaction score
Evening All!
Very recently found this site and just registered tonight. Just finished doing some repair work in my sister-in-laws basement following a sump pump failure in October. The pump, (1/3 HP) which had been working fine, failed to come on during a rainy spell and the basement took on water at the floor/wall junction. The pump has worked fine since, but it can't be trusted and I need to replace it and maybe add a backup system before the spring thaw. I own and trust Zoeller as a good pump and have a few questions. Is the Zoeller 82 pedestal as good as their submersibles? There are no headroom issues in this installation, and the ability to adjust the float for a longer cycle would be good. Another choice would be an N53 with a separate switch or the BN53. I have no experience with the pedestal design, but keeping the motor out of the water doesn't seem like a bad thing, unless that's their budget line. I'll probably come up with more questions later, but selecting a good primary pump is job one. TIA for any opinions or recommendations!
Jeff

Entropy

Reaction score
As, bit of a side note.

Is a long cycle better than a short cycle.

I have a submersible with a separate float switch. I have set it up with the float at a very short length, which equals short frequent cycles.

What are the pro's and con's to short vs. long cycles and setups?

Anyone know.

-> No disrespect, I'm not trying to highjack this thread.

Entropy

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I would imagine that the cycle thing would be the same as a well pump . The more it cycles the quicker it will wear out .

JLease

Reaction score
Frequent switch cycles and motor start current create the most wear and lead to decreased life of the unit or switch. My installation is in a pretty good sized pit and the current setup has the tethered float adjusted for maximum swing without touching the pit walls. There is still plenty of room below the tile inlets if the switch could be adjusted for an even higher level.
My question was aimed more for determining the best style of pump with an eye towards quality and reliability.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The 53 series zoeller with a separate switch is what I would consider the best for long term reliability.

JLease

Reaction score
The Hydromatic looks like a good good unit also, specs are pretty similar to the Zoeller 53 series with the exception that all the models use a piggyback switch, which is a good thing. I might have put one in my own sump pit if I had known about the brand when I last replaced the pump. Fortunately, my M53 doesn't cycle often, so I'm not too worried about the switch and it works great. As long as I've got experts on the thread, I've got a couple more questions. If I should go with the 53 for my SIL's installation, is the floating switch that ships with the Zoeller BN53 okay, or would I be advised to go with the manual only model and supply a different brand of piggyback switch? And, how might I go about making my own sump pit deeper? It is about the dimension of a 5 gal bucket and even at the pump shutoff level, the inlet line is almost completely underwater. We don't get a lot of water, and the lower level of the house is dry, but I've never liked that the drain tile can't empty completely. Another six inches of depth would be good, just don't know how I would reconstruct pit walls without it filling with dirt and stone. Appreciate the knowledge all have shared so far!
thx
Jeff

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
See posts 2, 6, & 7

I used to carry three M53's and 3 DA1's on my truck. In some areas the Zoeller worked better, and others the Hydromatic was a better pump. It all depended on the water quality.

My father is still twice shy with Zoeller's built in switch when they changed the plastics to make the switch and there was a huge failure rate.

I honestly like both pumps, its just I get a better price break on the Hydromatics and you do not see them in the hardware stores, like you do Zoeller. There is a hardware store the street selling the M53 for $99.00 I can not compete with that. He also sells the ejector pump for $150.00

JLease

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers I have received so far. I will likely install the 53 series pump with seperate switch for my SIL, just on past experience and recommendations. I haven't given the switch on my own M53 much thought, at least, not until spending some time on this board, but with a rapid snow melt, pouring rain, and a failed pump (different brand), I didn't have a lot of time for research. The pump which was in the pit when we bought the house was a Zoeller which ultimately failed when the switch crapped out in the closed position in a dry sump and burned up the motor. Looked to be the original pump and around 17 years old, so it didn't owe me anything, but I didn't know anything about pumps and brands then, so I installed a hardware store brand which lasted about three years. Anyway, I've learned a ton here about quality pumps, switch types and failure modes, as well as what to look for in a quality backup system. I do appreciate all the expertise and the time you all spend here answering questions! Work safely!

Jeff

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The M-53 installed at my mom's house is about 29 years old now....

Hmmmm

Maybe I should give here a new one!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks