Shower Rough-in Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

cjt

Reaction score
Despite my best efforts, my rough-in for the shower waterway feed that will send water to the handheld shower on a slider rail ended up just barely proud of the finished tiled wall. I don't think there is enough thread to attach the waterway connector elbow. The rough-in is 1/2" male connector that supplies the shower hose connector on the other end.

Is there a bushing/connector of some sort that will extend this connection by a 3/4 or 1 inch? It looks like it would need to be female on the end to connect to the existing rough-in with a threaded male connector on the other end to feed the waterway.

I could not find something that seemed suitable at the big orange. Is there a name part for this I should seek out at a plumbing supplier?

Thanks much

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A threaded coupler might work, but it would only move it out a little over 1/2". HD has them in brass in single packets hanging up in most stores. Essentially, it's a sleeve threaded internally on both ends.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I did the same thing you did. When I was an amateur DIY'er I didn't know about drop-ears and nipples. So I too used a copper male threaded adapter and "measured" to where I thought the tile would finish.

I wasn't ever able to find an adapter like your in need of. A coupler won't work because then you need to change the pipe gender. A 1/2 to 1/2" bushing would work, but that's not what bushings are for. :-( so you won't find one.

I ended up having to cut and install a drop ear and appropriate sized nipple from behind. Likely it backed up to a closet.

cjt

Reaction score
Almost

The coupling I would need would actually need to be threaded on the inside on one end and threads on the outside of the opposite end. The shower connection for the water supply to the handheld shower is female.

Does this exist?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
The coupling I would need would actually need to be threaded on the inside on one end and threads on the outside of the opposite end. The shower connection for the water supply to the handheld shower is female.

Does this exist?

Yeah, thats what a bushing is. You basically need to "extend" the threaded male pipe just a bit further.

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/6494298.jpg

Sort of like that pic with the 1/2" on both ends.....I was never able to find one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piece

Bushings are different sizes on each end. He needs something the same size on both ends which means he needs an extension coupling, or street coupling as they are sometimes called. They are made in the USA, in brass and galvanized, but since they are seldom used, few companies stock them so it would probably have to be a special order item.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks