Cutting an installed cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mickeytex

Project Manager
Reaction score
So i am thinking about putting a deeper kitchen sink in which poses a problem because it would lower the disposal/sink plumbing 2" which would mean the rough in drain line is too high. Don't mind going into the wall and dropping the "T" but was wondering what the pros use to cut a hole in back of the cabinet. What is the fastest tool that provides the best cut and depth control?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
rotozip

5250.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There's a guy in town that would probably use a chainsaw and sledge hammer. Roto-Zip works fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

FIRST you have to determine whether the drain goes into a tee on a vertical pipe, or goes sideways to a tee behind one of the other cabinets, unless you have already done that. If the cabinet has a back on it, then it will be too close to the wall to safely use a SawZall, and so, a RotoZip or other routing tool may the best choice.

Mickeytex

Project Manager
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who responded. I was thinking a rotozip would be the best but wanted to confirm. Guess I get to add another tool to my arsenal. I'll need it anyway when i do some drywalling.

HJ - I definitely need to check to see if the wall drain runs vertical. I think it does since there is a clean-out directly below, but i will do some more inspection to verify.

Here's a pic:
Kitchen sink plumbing.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks