No Pigtail, Interesting Wiring,

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I noticed a method used to wire a switch and am wondering if it's safe.

Power comes into the box and on that wire there is a 1/4" section removed. That section was secured under the switch screw and then continues on to bring power to the second switch.

Is this safe? Should it be pigtailed?

Thanks for any replys!

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I used to do it that way before I knew any better. Now I HATE that method.
I pigtail a separate wire for each switch.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the olden days of solder, it would in some cases save a splice and would save time.

Today, not so much.

Occaisionally on a double duplex with a single cable in, I will use this method. Just leave a little extra wire, strip a bare spot and wrap them.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It can also be a PITB when replacing a bad switch...

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think that would be fine so long as the bare portion of wire wrapped around the screw and had a good connection. And actually this would be a better connection than a pigtail/wire nut as it would be one contiguous piece of wire...

However, try stripping a wire "in the middle" of a run. Not very easy. And the insulation wants to spring back to where it was to begin with. I would not mess with this myself.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
This is quite a common method seen every day in the field. As far as safety there is no problem. If you are going to change a switch wired this way you should turn the power off to the circuit. Also its a good rule to always turn a circuit off when working on one. One should never work on live circuits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks