View Full Version : Crack in pipe from p-trap to wall

12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
The pipe which goes from the p-trap, through the cabinet, and into the wall has a crack which developed on the bottom.

Short of figuring out how to cut out a bigger hole around where the pipe goes through to the wall and encountering the next surprise, I was thinking of cutting the pipe a couple of inches back from the crack, and using those rubber bushings/clamps to connect what's left of the pipe to some new PVC into the p-trap. Assuming that what's left of the pipe is good, is this an OK way to go?

Also, what's the best way of cutting the pipe? I'm afraid that a pipe cutter might put enough pressure on the pipe to crack what's left of it.

Or, is there a way to fix the crack itself?

Here's a picture of the pipe into the wall, and the crack on the bottom of the pipe.

Thanks for your replies.


Mike Swearingen
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
That cracked pipe appears to be copper. If it is, you should be able to cut it with a tubing cutter if you have turning clearance (or a hacksaw) and connect it to the trap with either a Fernco (neoprene rubber) coupling or a no-hub coupling (with a ss sleeve), and PVC pipe connected to the trap.
Good luck!

12-30-2008, 05:50 AM
That is a copper tubing, and since there is a crack, or rather erosion, in one place, usually because of excessive drain cleaning chemicals, the entire pipe, including the section in the wall, is probably in the same shape.