View Full Version : How can I cap a rough-in toilet

06-15-2005, 07:21 AM
I want to cap my roughed in toilet in my basement with something besides a rag. This would have been a good place to use a popout flange, but whoever plumbed it just used a standard one. It is a 3-1/2" diameter hole.


grace under pressure
06-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Would some type of tupperware lid fit over the flange? I find kitchen gadgets are sometimes suited as renovation tools.

Good luck,


06-15-2005, 07:17 PM
You can get a mechanical plug at a plumbing supply house. These look a bit like a rubber cone with a large washer and a wingnut on top. Slide the plug into the opening, tighten the wingnut and you've got it sealed.

06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Can't beat duct tape. Cheap and easy and now available in designer colors. :D

06-17-2005, 06:04 PM
my favorites always been dunkin donuts cups...the large sizefits perfect in a flange opening..