Pressure testing DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
OK, professional plumbers. How you you pressure test your PVC or ABS DWV systems when required for inspection?

I think we can get a good conversation out of this subject.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
lots of gun powder down the stack.

BUt really we fill the whole system with water. You have test balls and caps and test plugs blocking off the openings.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
I am bringing this up because the IPC and IRC have a water method and air pressure test. The compressed air test seems to be the most popular but the plastic pipe industry does not allow it even though it is widespread.

Many times on jobsites, there is no waterflow because there is a well and it is often not ready for use when the plumbing rough is due.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
99% of the time we use air @5lbs. Manufactureres don't like you pumping foam core pvc up past 7 lbs. Water is a huge pain in the you know what, but occasionally necessary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

Water. It is easier to find a leak, often at a cleanout plug, than air. And if it is a stubborn cleanout plug that will not seal, the inspector can see it and will usually not reject it. That would not be the case with air.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I once caught a plumber gluing the plugs on the clean outs. I was like WTF man are you crazy?!?! Apparently he never did service work. The inspectors learned of his practice and made him go back on 100's of jobs to correct this issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks