View Full Version : Closet flange in new construction

12-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm planning to install a Toto Drake (purchased from Terry) in a new house. (I've replaced an existing toilet but never set one in new construction). The rough-in was done by a contractor. The closet flanges have what looks like an integral plug for hydraulic testing. The plug moves a little but I wasn't able to figure out how to remove it and didn't want to risk the brute force method. Or am I just supposed to knock out the center portion (which looks like thin ABS)?

12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Most of the flanges out there do have what they call a knock out. Just be careful not to lose it down the line. If you could post a pic of it we could be more sure if the one you have is a knock out type.

12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Some even have a point where they are made to get whacked with a hammer and the slug wont fall in and get lost in the line. Like the Oatey Ez Tap flange.

12-18-2008, 09:21 AM

With the TKO flanges, you tap the ridge with a hammer to break the seal, and then lift up.


12-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Look at that pretty stainless steel flange ring. I wish I had one like that unstead of the dumb ABS one I have. Maybe next time.

12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
If you want an even better flush on your Toto, there's a blue flapper w/out the extra side hole that Toto makes as a replacement for your flapper.