Water around flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

deekfu

Reaction score
Hi folks, very novice DIYer here. This site is a terrific resource, so thanks to Mr. Love for hosting and all of the information.

Questions are:

(1) We had a slow leak at the base of one of our toilets. Presumed wax ring leak. I removed the toilet and changed out the wax ring, but still leaking. I am going to try the wax-free kit next.

The only thing that was strange was that when I removed the toilet and the old wax ring from the flange, there was water around the flange. Is this supposed to be there? I am presuming that this is present because the prior wax ring was leaky. But just want to make sure this is a typical finding. Should I just sop it up with towels???

(2) We apparently have an offset flange. Can I still use the wax free kit or should I use a standard wax kit?

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking probably obvious questions.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have an offset flange, it needs to be wax. The waxless need a portion of straight pipe to work.

If your flange is lower than the finished floor, you need to either raise the flange, or use two wax rings.

deekfu

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

I did use an extra thick wax ring, but I will try 2 wax rings this next time.

Also, thoughts about the water around the flange?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
many offset flanges have an oval opening, you have to form the wax to match that shape. Also, if the toilet moves at all after you smush it down, you'll break the seal and it will leak. Offset flanges are generally evil...and to be avoided. There's a thread going on here about it and some reasonable choices (like an offset that doesn't have an oval opening).

deekfu

Reaction score
many offset flanges have an oval opening, you have to form the wax to match that shape. Also, if the toilet moves at all after you smush it down, you'll break the seal and it will leak. Offset flanges are generally evil...and to be avoided. There's a thread going on here about it and some reasonable choices (like an offset that doesn't have an oval opening).

Thanks.. I saw the thread.. this is not my doing, but I can live with it. Thanks for the tip on the movement.. that's exactly what happened.

Any thoughts about the water around the flange?? Sorry to be so persistent but that's my main concern.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you ruled out other sources of the leak?

Look behind and between the tank and bowl using a flashlight, and flush the toilet a couple of times.

deekfu

Reaction score
Well, I took the toilet apart and everything looked great and the water was coming from underneath the toilet, not between the tank and bowl, so I presumed it was the wax.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water could easily be leaking down the back of the tank and/or bowl and end up at the base of the toilet. But the toilet has to be operational to see if that is the case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks