Narrow toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Nywoman

Reaction score
Am in the process of redoing part of my very small bathroom. I have found the sink and vanity that I like from IKEA. I do need a toilet tank that is around 16" the toilet bowl has 12" ruff. Have now spent countless hours trying to find a narrow toilet. Any advice please.

What is mind boggling to me is that dimensions are hardly ever listed on web sites!!!!!!!!

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

It is usually not a factor, because the smallest opening a toilet is supposed to be installed in is 30" which any tank will fit. Who is only 16" wide that is going to try to use that toilet? The only ones I can think of are anorexics and kids. Also how are you going to get into the space to connect the water?

Nywoman

Reaction score
Sorry wasn't very clear. I am talking about the tank width. The space is 44" wide the vanity 24" and in order for the vanity to fit next to the toilet the tank should be 16 - 16 1/2 " wide.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To repeat, you have a space that is 20" wide between the vanity and the wall? You cannot legally install a toilet there. The space needs to be 30".

Nywoman

Reaction score
To go back to my original question. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that make toilets with tanks that are 16" or less. Is there even such a thing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since this is for New York, where size does not matter, as least as far as building codes go, here are some options.
This may not be true, it's just that some of the people posting from NY tell us this is so. New York contractors and plumbers may be able to tell us differently.

In the building trades, we have to allow 30" for a toilet.
It doesn't matter how small the toilet is, it's how big the people are.

Caroma makes a 1-piece Caravelle that is 14.75" wide
and the 2-piece 305 toilet that is less than 15" wide

Sterling Rockton 15" wide

Toto makes some one-piece toilets with tanks that are 16.5" wide, and then you add some for the side mounted trip lever on the left side.
Toto Ultimate and Ultramax.

Last edited:

Nywoman

Reaction score
Thank you so very muchTerry,
Am off to Home Depot tomorrow to place my order. The Sterling is perfect size.
If 30" was code none of the bathrooms in my building would have a sink, so I guess NYC has different standards, which is explains why I am green with envy seeing bathrooms in other parts of the country.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks