Whistling sound in kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

cmwood70

Reaction score
My kitchen faucet makes a whistling sound when the hot water is on. It did this two years ago and I replaced the faucet and it stopped. Now it is doing it again. I just don't understand...please help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is probably a restriction of some nature inside the faucet causing the noise.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Well cmwood70 your plumbing is all against you!
What sort of faucet is it? A simple cartidge replacement may do the trick.

cmwood70

Reaction score
It is a Price Pfister with built in pull out sprayer. I understand that it may be clogged with something, but it would be odd since it is fairly new and only makes the noise with hot water.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since this happened to two faucets, you probably have gunk or mineral deposits that create a partial blockage. The faucet needs to be taken apart and flushed thoroughly. I would also flush your hot water line to try to get rid of any future crud.

MaintenanceMan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought a Price Pfister with pull out sprayer a few years back when I replaced our counter tops and tiled the backsplash. It was whistling the second I started to use it. I put up with it for a few days before I had enough and took things apart to see what was going on. In the hose end, I believe its on the sprayer end but it might of been where it connects to the faucet body, was a little white restrictor (I still have it somewhere) to reduce the flow, conserve water, ect. Popped right out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Whistling stopped. Put it back in, whistling came back. So I took it out because I just couldn't stand the whistling. Pressure out of the faucet was fine so it worked for me.

Here's a pic. That's the Price Pfister I have.
100_0914.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not advising you to create a higher flow, anti"green", pressure washer here. It's totally your choice to modify your faucet in any way. Just relaying my experience. Had I of still had the box I would of probably just taken it back. I just couldn't stand the maddening high pitched whistle.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
MM, it looks like you may have solved this.

The $64,000 question, however, is whether the original faucet also was a PP w/ pullout sprayer or something similar.

plumberdood

Reaction score
Check for kinks in the line. If the sound comes from the removable wand in the facet when you squeeze the trigger then the sound may be cause from a weep in the valve that controls the water flow in the wand. That is a common design flaw.

flabiker56

Reaction score
Had the same problem...took the little plastic washer out...noise gone...put it back ...noise back....took it out and left it out didnt notice that much of a difference in flow but the high pitched noise is GONE

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks