View Full Version : Identify tub faucet valve

12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
My tub faucet leaks and needs replacing. Can someone identify the stem shown in the attached photo? I'll probably call a plumber to do the work, but I'm interested in knowing the answer. The tub has hot - diverter - cold handles, at least 23 years old.


Mike Swearingen
12-11-2008, 12:12 PM
The valves probably only need new washers and o-rings. You don't necessarily need to replace them.
Good Luck!

12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
My guess from an out of focus picture is a Kohler Trend.
Go to this link. http://www.arpny.com/pdf/StemCatalog_G-L.pdf
Page 44 # KH1011 for your hot and cold stems
& Page 45 # KH5009 for your diverter.

Mike is right about them being repairable.
I would however install new seats to prevent them from tearing up the new washer.

Kohler Trend Webpage @ Kohler,com (http://www.kohlerserviceparts.kohler.com/Product.aspx?ModelID=e2dca8d5c9374837a0b64db005e37 174&AttributeIDPageNum=1&SortBy=0)

12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
If you do decide instead to replace the valve, you must bring it up to current anti-scald requirements and there are few, if any, 3-handle systems without doing special things in the wall with the plumbing. They do make special trim plates to cover a bigger hole.

12-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Crane also used a trim ring like that. A picture of the actual handle, orthe entire stem, might help more, since flanges tend to be somewhat generic, and that portion of the stem tells us nothing about it.

12-13-2008, 08:36 PM
If water is leaking via the spout, follow these instructions:

1. Determine whether it is hot or cold water that is leaking.
2. turn off the water to the faucet.
3. unscrew the trim flange and sleeve
4. unscrew the valve stem using plumbing sockets (see pic)
5. replace the bibb washer (the washer on the bottom of the valve stem)

If water is leaking from the packing nut, simply tighten the packing nut with the appropriate socket.

Dunbar Plumbing
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Gerber or Price Pfister.

Let us know what it was, soon.