Flexibility in rough-in dimension?

Users who are viewing this thread

pat1294

Reaction score
We were having a new low-flow toilet installed in our fifty- year old house and discovered when we pulled the old toilet that the rough in dimension is 9.75 inches. I can find a few toilets with a 10 inch rough-in. I am not finding anything with a 9.75 rough in. Is there some kind of device or technique which will make it possible to install a 10-inch rough-in into a 9.75 area? Please help, and thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many (not all) toilets have a space behind them when installed on the specified rough-in dimmension. So, yes, some 10" rough-in toilets will fit, some won't. Most of the Toto's that use the Unifit adapter (Carlyle, Vespin, and a few others) have a nominal 3/4" behind them, so, you'd still have 1/2". You need to read the spec sheet carefully.

Note, the rough-in is measured from the center of the drain to the finished wall (not the baseboard unless it is extremely tall). Did you measure correctly?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks