Running DWV through framing in an old house

Users who are viewing this thread

pmoe

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an older (1914) house where a back porch was framed in and converted at some point to a half bath. I am now wanting to convert that half bath to full.

I have a boatload of questions, but the current one has to do with running DWV through the framing. The half bath conversion was very half-@ss, with almost all the supply and DWV lines run on the surface, and covered with soffits. I want to get as much of that run through the floor and walls as possible.

At the bottom of the walls, I have 2x10s turned up on edge, like so:

3090887567_606b1d9c79.jpg

The wall shown in the picture will have a pedestal sink on the left and a toilet on the right.

Will it be OK to notch this out for the DWV lines, or will I need to raise the floor and let the lines run over the edge of the 2x10s?

If it's OK to notch them out, what would be the easiest way to make the cut? Hole saw?

Moving to the top of that same wall, I have this:

3091490702_8f7c2fbc97.jpg

Again, is there any way to notch this out without damaging the structural integrity, or will I need to drop the ceiling and let the vent run over the framing?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
beam

It would be nice if we knew the orientation of the two pictures. You cannot do anything to that beam unless it is completely supported underneath by a bearing wall which would also have support under it.

pmoe

Reaction score
Thanks hj.

Hopefully these pix will help. Bottom of the wall in question:

3092795491_a05e8094bb_b.jpg

The right side is sitting on the foundation (again, this was a porch at one point). The left side is sitting on this:

3093587516_af1ed4857c_b.jpg

And one of the supply lines froze. Yay.

Top of the wall in question:

3093657516_220cf08d1f_b.jpg

pmoe

Reaction score
I solved my own problem by working around it.

The wall opposite this wall doesn't have the joists in place - it has empty space where a DWV could happily run. So I'm instead going to swap the fixtures across the room: put a clawfoot tub in the space pictured and let the vent lines come out on a wall that also has space. Put the toilet and sink on the opposite wall where the joists aren't in the way. It's an easy compromise to make.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks