Gas step down

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have a gas pipe runninig straight to my boiler from the main. Halfway through the run there is a tee. The tee is capped on one end for future expansion. The tee is reducing the second connection ( The capped one). What is the purpose of the reduce in size? Will there be sufficient flow to the expansion branch to a new stove (duel fuel burners only) if this is utilized? If the sizes are important for this question I can get that tonight. Just wanted to understand the physics behind this.

Thank-you

Jastori

Reaction score
Generally, gas piping should be sized correctly for the appliances that are to be supplied for each branch. The branch lines need to be "large enough" to supply the necessary gas volume without too large of a pressure drop. Having oversized gas lines is not likely to be a problem, but having them undersized would be. Sizing the lines properly requires using published tables from the fuel gas code, or other sources.

The person who installed the "T" probably believed that the reduced size branch would be adequate for the anticipated expansion. Whether it is or not, depends on the size of the branch, total length of piping from the appliance to the gas meter, and other factors such as the supply requirements of the boiler, size of the line prior to the "T", etc.

If the reduced size "T" outlet is 3/4" nominal iron pipe, it is very likely adequate to supply a stove. If it is 1/2" diameter, it may still be adequate. Determining this would require someone who has access to the tables, and knows how to use them.

Please keep in mind that gas is dangerous, and if you are doing the work yourself, you definitely need to do proper testing, including a permit and inspection. Many areas do not permit homeowners to do their own gas work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks