Not good... not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

EdPDX

Reaction score
Hi gang, I thought my washing machine drain was overflowing the minute I'd leave it unattended. I was getting water seeping out of the baseboard in the laundry room and the adjoining basement bathroom. I soon realized that the leak was between the wall. This morning I opened the wall behind the washing machine. I found that there was a hole in the inside turn of the cast trap- maybe snake worn?

I made the drawing below and the hole is indicated with the yellow dot. What should I do here?
pipe.jpg

I was thinking I should cut the nipple between the trap and the t-fitting, soak the sawed off connection on the T with Kroil and try to turn the remaining nipple out. Then I was thinking I would replace the nipple trap, and a drain pipe with PVC.

Couple of things... Is the T too small?- it looks smaller than 2".
Should it be a Wye?
And lastly the washing machine drain clogs frequently 4-5 time a year, my guess is that since it is the only drain in the house with issues (circa 1964) that the problem is a clogged sewer run between the washer and the exterior of the house about 20'. The nearest cleanout seems to be in that line just before it leaves the house. Is this a professional job only- snaking the cleanout?

Is my rebuilding the drain the way to go?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Ed

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Since the drain lines in your home are galv steel, the interior of the pipes have become reduced due to rusting over the years, this also means that the interior of the pipes are rough now, which means that they clog easier.

Since you have the wall open and have the piping exposed, you may as well replace as much as possible with plastic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There could be multiple things that should be done, and one of them is to check the actual size of the drain lines since we have no idea what size they are. Then a new trap would be installed AND a cleanout in the vertical line. Probably not a DIY procedure.

EdPDX

Reaction score
dO you think the galvanized nipple will have corroded the cast T too much to replace the nipple with PVC?

Ed

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How long is the nipple?

If you have enough length on the nipple to get a chain wrench around it, you will be able to get it out. Likely the threads were coated with some sort of pipe dope and could well be servicable.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
two options:
1. cut the galvanized nipple flush with the trap hub or 1" from the sanitary tee, then nohub a piece of plastic and istall a new trap and standpipe

3. cut out the sanitary tee and replace everything with plastic connecting to the pipe above and below with no hub couplings. install a cleanout/ test tee above the sanitary tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks