#Water in roof vent

Users who are viewing this thread

luvtoliv

Reaction score
Was on my roof doing some minor tar patching around the plumbing vents and noticed that I could clearly see water standing inside the vent pipe no more than a foot from the top. I'm no plumber but I am sure this can't be right. This is about a 3 inch size vent coming up from a full bathroom. Other than noticing the water in the pipe, I have not had any problems inside the house. Any advice on this and is there a do-it-yourself fix?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If there are no draining issues it must be blocked near the roof penetration and that's why you can see standing water. Find something with some length, like a fishing pole and see how far down it will go.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is standing water near the roof line, the obstruction must be below this standing water or the water would be coming out of all the fixtures in your house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

About the only way that could happen is if the pipe makes a turn somewhere below the roof. If so, a hose or other flexible item, should be able to push through it and dislodge the plug of leaves.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the house is pretty new, I'll bet someone left a gym cap on in the attic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks