Question on Replacing Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

crabapplemcn

Reaction score
I am building with a builder and just had my plumbing selections meeting. They want to charge me $100-150 more per faucet than buying online. So i was considering having them just put in the cheap stuff (already in contract) and replace them myself. A couple quesitons:
1. What do I need to specify in order for my replacment faucets to fit. (e.g. If i have a single hole pull-down kitchen faucet with knob attached, just get a cheap version or if I have a 3 hole 8" center lav faucet just make sure the cheap one is likewise)

2. How difficult is replacing faucets, I've never done it before.

3. Anything else I need to consider
thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It depends on the actual installation. If the plumber uses a method of supply that makes change easy or, not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

If they are furnishing them they will also be more expensive that if YOU went to Home Depot and bought them. You don't expect them to sell them to you at their cost do you? It doesn't work that way. If he furnishes them he has to deal with them leaking, having missing or defective parts. If you save money and buy them then YOU are responsible for all that as a bonus for saving money. Most plumbers prefer that you buy them, so they do not have to deal with dripping faucets, discolored finishes, etc.

Last edited:

crabapplemcn

Reaction score
Mike
I can look into it. The builder makes you use their sub, who marks up any upgraded faucet. For example, kitchen faucet I like I can get for $330 online. They are charging me $480 upgrade + deduction of standard faucet (roughly $50) or $530 for same faucet. they claim it's installed price (although installation is already included for standard faucet) plus their warranty, plus mark up of course. Don't know if I can negotiate the final differnce in price for the upgrades, but can try. Pretty much pigeon holed into this scenario. thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks