solder joint failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

dyi_guy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have done a fair amount of plumbing at home, my question is about a brass gate valve i installed to replace an old frozen (from hard water build up) one. I cleaned the pipe after removal with fine sandpaper, but got distracted and never cleaned the brass valve. I used plenty of flux on both sides, sweated them together, and have no drips. I am just worried that the joint is weak and the valve might come off, anyone ever see this? No one is home for 8 hours so a failure would be horrific. I have to believe a valve will drip first before failing so catastrophically, right now i turn the water off when i leave the house.

Can I reheat the valve and maybe rotate it 360 degrees and let it cool? I am sure if i remove it I will not be able to clean it to get it back on. appreciate any feedback.

sleepless in NJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Unless the valve's socket was very dirty or oxidized, it was probably as clean as if you had prepared it. If that is the case, don't worry about it. In any case, just reheating it and rotating it would not make a better joint than you have now. Worse case, if you do remove it you should not have any problem cleaning it and reinstalling it, assuming you do not overheat it and damage the internal seals.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You are probably OK. But you would never know unless you ultrasonically tested the joint ( non destructive test) or cut the joint lengthwise ( destructive test)

In 1963, after the loss of the submarine Thresher ( SSN-593) the Navy went back and started inspecting silverbraze joints in stainless steel and monel sea water pipes. Found many instances of WAY to little penetration of the filler. Good enough to pass pressure test, but add a little vibration, etc, and pretty soon you have water in the people tank, which is a VERY BAD THING!

ALL piping on all submarine was redone WELDED. Boats had their operating depth restricted by half until the retrofits were done.l

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Like hj, I've never recleaned an already clean brass valve for soldering.
I pull em out of the wrapper, flux em and solder em.

This isn't silverbrazing joints in stainless steel and monel sea water pipes.
It's jus solderein' with Lead Free residential copper tubin'.

copper_90.jpg

Soldered with No-Lead Solder

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks