Basement Washing Machine Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottTENN

Reaction score
What line is safe for a washing machine to drain into? In my basement remodel my wife and I talked about possibly moving the laudry to the basement. I thought if nothing else I could at least get the power and water setup for us or the next guy.

I have a 3/4 bath in the basement already right beside what will be the unfinished furnace/laundry room. So supply and drain are close. The basement bath has its own vent (1 1/2"?), though I assume it gets connected back to a main vent in the attic.

Can I just waste into the shower vent for my washing machine?

highlight_DCP_6934.JPG

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll leave the evaluation of the entire plan to the pros, but I can tell you that your washer must have a 2" trapped and vent drain. I think you could share the vent as a vent but not as a waste.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can not waste over into the shower vent for the washing machine drain.
The washer would siphon the trap of the shower dry in seconds.

The santee on it's side for the shower needs to be replaced with a wye.
The vent needs to have a wye fitting also.

If you want to add a washer, add another wye before the shower vent, and come up alongside of it.
Add a santee on the vertical about 12" above the floor, and use a 2" p-trap with a 30" standpipe.

The two 1.5" vents can then tie together at 6" above the standpipe for the washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks