Hot water in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

mrhans1

Reaction score
I maintain an eighteen floor office high rise building and I've run into a new challenge I need help with. Hot water is in the toilets and sinks on the 14th floor. Now I have hot water in all the cold water outlets on the 18th floor. The floors have seperate water heaters,individual single handled sinks and flush valves. It shows up in the mornings until the cold water runs or flushed enough times, then the water is cool again. Has anyone seen this before. Help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It happens when there is a temperary shutoff on a shower head.

The homeowner shuts the valve on the shower head, but leaves the shower faucet on.
The hot crosses through the valve and into the cold side.

The fix is to educate them to turn "off" the faucets for the showers, not just for the shower head.

mrhans1

Reaction score
Hot Toilet reply

Mike Swearingen said:
It probably is due to thermal expansion of hot water from the water heaters into the cold supply lines.
Do these water heaters have expansion tanks on them?

No expansion tanks. They are 17 gal. state water heaters. After reading this I went and looked at the pipes and I do not see a check valve or a flow back preventor on the cold water line before the water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks