toilet thunk

Users who are viewing this thread

mattnjodie

Plumber
Reaction score
I replaced the flapper in a Kohler elongated bowl toilet that is 10 years old because the old one was hard and every time you'd flush, it went thunk. I replaced the flapper with a universal type. It still goes thunk. :confused: To prevent and cure the thunk, do I need to use a flapper like the original (with a float on it)? If not, what is my recourse?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it a thunk when the flapper drops, or does it thunk when the tank finishes it's refill.

Sometimes the Fluidmaster fill valve creates water hammer.
Replacing the Fluidmaster with a Korky Quietfill will fix that.

mattnjodie

Plumber
Reaction score
the "thunk" in the night

the thunk happens once the tank is full and it makes sense that it is a water hammer. thank you for your VERY helpful answer, and quick reply. :) a korky quietfill is on my list for the supply house.

Neotonic

Reaction score
Ah ok this helps..
The same thing happens in my 1997 American Standard Cadet 2.. I replaced the old American Standard Fillvalve with a FluidMaster Whisper Filllvalve with LeakSentry..and I get the Loud thunk when the flapper goes down.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks