Toilet supply line rough in dimension

Users who are viewing this thread

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm back to doing the bathroom rehab again and I have 1 question that may have no "exact" answer...but you guys do it more than me so you will have a "general" answer:

Running new supply line to new toilet location...any recommendations on the best location for the stub-out?
Left/right of flange center line = x"
Height AFF = x"

I have a vague recollection of the AFF being 7"...but no idea on the left/right of center line distance.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I rough in the water for a toilet at 6" left of center of flange (when looking at the wall) and 8" AFF. This is for "standard" toilets. For something like a skirted Toto, the dimensions change. I know some plumbers who rough in at 6" AFF, but I've found that alot of baseboard moldings get in the way of the escuchion at that level. As you stated, the rough in dimensions are going to be "general" at best. I'm sure with so many plumbers on this site there will be various dimensions to choose from.

Good luck

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
RioHyde said:
I'm sure with so many plumbers on this site there will be various dimensions to choose from.

...that's what I am hoping for :D

Thanks for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the time, I'm putting the water supply 8" to the left of center as you look at the wall. This works with all toilets as far as I know, even the Skirted toilets by Toto.

The height can vary depending on the floor base,
5.25" at the lowest
and can go up to about 8" AFF

If you have the toilet there, you may even decide you could go higher or wider.

Last edited:

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
Well, so far I have the stub at 9" left of centerline, the AFF is undermined - but I figured about 7" AFF would be a good "general" location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks