View Full Version : ice water box valve repair or replace

11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
How can I repair or replace the 1/4 turn valve in the icemaker water supply box? I turned off the water to the fridge to work on the icemaker, and now the valve won't open back up (the handle moves fine, but something's now jammed inside). The ice maker water supply box and valve unit are 8 yrs old: probably never turned off once since then. It WAS stiff to close it , and now the handle rotates easily (it's not stripped though) -- not a drop will come through he valve. It's a chrome 1/4 turn handle mounted inside a white plastic box, and of course drywall blocks a view of how the unit is conected to the supplyline. I've done simple valve repairs around the house, but this one looks like it's beggin to create a Tim Toolman Taylor fiasco if I try to disassemble anything! Better to replace? If so, is that DIY or pro to sweat the old one out and a new one in?

11-15-2008, 02:43 PM
The valve could be soldered on or it could be a compression fitting. You won't know how hard or easy it will be until you can take a closer look. If the shaft of the valve is plastic, it could have sheared off, and might just pull out if you tugged on it.

11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
A picture would be nice.

11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Attached close-up photo of the valve, but you still can't see how the fitting below the box is connected: compression or solder. I notice that the valve looks like a female thread, but I don't know if the nut shown is a lock nut or serves another purpose, and maybe it's not a separately replaceable part (replace the whole water box?). I've tried to loosen that nut, and then the valve itself, but I stopped, not wanting to create a serious leak that would rtequire me to shut off water to the entire house.

11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
You have to turn off the water to fix or replace that valve, you can just lossen the nut below the valve, but then you need the exact same style, maybe even brand of valve to replace it. Be prepared to cut into the wall and redo the box and then give it a go at fixing the valve, or call in a pro. If you can't get the exact same valve you need to open a small hole in the wall below the box to see what you're getting into. Shut off the water first.

11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward letting a pro do this one, and probably just put in a new water box. Of course I knew to turn off the water before attempting the work, but I was concerned that an attempt to disassemble the valve could damage something and create a leak that would force me to leave the water to the house off until a pro could come in to set things straight. I would not be popular around the house...

11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
You are lucky. That valve is attached with a 1/2" mip thread, so if you can find a new ice maker valve with a 1/2" male thread you can just unscrew the old one and install the new.

11-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I got into one of those from a box store once that looked like that and it had some kind of flare type nut so it could turn. I think it was that way because the front of the valve wouldn't clear the back of the box to turn it. I would not bet on that being a threaded valve from a picture. This one doesn't have a jamb nut or flange under it so it might be just a threaded one.

11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Search IPS ice maker box and you will find the same box and can maybe find a valve. Here is their website http://www.ipscorp.com/guygray/index.shtml

The valve you show looks like a 1/2" compression valve not right.

11-17-2008, 06:02 AM
NO, NO, NO. Do not try to turn that "nut". It is fastened to the piping. You want to turn the valve and unscrew it from the "nut" which is really a female connector.

11-17-2008, 08:02 AM
A timely caution given by HJ! Holding that lowest nut in place with pliers, while using another pair of pliers to turn the valve body, and it eventually it unscrewed. Replaced with ... you got it... a 1/2" MIP-threaded replacement valve. All is well. Thanks for the info.