PDA

View Full Version : hammer arrestors

Master Brian
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Moving my washing machine to the basement. Should I buy the box with the hammer arrestors or not? I've never noticed a hammering sound from them in their current location and I will be installing the new plumbing with PEX.

The box with the hammer arrestors are about $60+, the ones without are about $25+.

What about toilets, sinks, etc. Should I be using hammer arrestors in other places? I always thought to stop the problem, you just "T" off prior to the connection and ran a short run of pipe up about 6-12", but the arrestors I seem to be seeing have a piston of some sort.

Also, is this a problem even with PEX or just with copper, I'm upgrading my remodeling jobs with PEX.

Can someone please explain? Thanks!!

Redwood
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
The old school "air chambers" don't work!
The air in the chamber is rapdly deleted and they just don't work.
Hammer arrestors are the way to go.

http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Product_Detail.cfm?GroupID=350200

littlebrook
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi,

I bought some arrestors like the ones that Redwood posted and placed them at the outlet box as shown on the picture. They worked for maybe 2 weeks or so but now the water hammer has returned. Should I try to place on directly on the washer itself? Or do I have a bad arrester?

Thanks

hj
10-27-2009, 05:40 AM
If you do not have hammer, and it is less of a factor with PEX, you do not need them. In this area, we do not use them, or air chambers, and no one has any problem with hammer.

jdgoodman
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Im my area if you have a PEX system you do not need hammer arrestors.