Clawfoot tub refinish

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am installing an old cast iron clawfoot tub. I repainted the exterior with an enamle paint, so that is take care of. I am just curious about what everyone would recommend for the porcelain inside the tub. It has some chips, but I have some patch stuff that is supposed to fix those and they aren't really very major. The worst part is there are rust stains on the porcelain. Originally, I had thought I would wait to refinish the inside until my very young kids are a bit older, but I am now starting to wonder if I should go ahead and do it now before I install it.

What would you recommend, do-it-yourself kits or hire a professional? If a professional, what is a reasonable charge? My sister paid $300-400 for a newer cast iron tub to be refinished, but my brother said he thought it could be done for $100-200.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would go with thw professional job for best results.

I would question installing a used tub in need of refinishing though.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would go with thw professional job for best results.

I would question installing a used tub in need of refinishing though.

Thanks. I am starting to question that as well, especially when it turned out that a tab that holds one of the feet on was broken, but after spending $300 on a replacement foot cradle, I'm sticking with this tub. Even if I spend a few hundred on refinishing it, I'm still well over a grand less invested than I would have been buying a lower end new clawfoot. I also like the fact that it was built in 1911.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

New tub or old tub, it should cost about the same. If you do not eliminate the rust before refinishing it, it will cause the new finish to come loose.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You won't get a quality job for $100-$200. $300 to $400 is more like it for a good job. I know, I do this for a living.
That's kind of what I thought, but had to ask.

My question to you is do you by chance no anyone that you can refer me to that does this type of work on the antique tubs in the Wichita, KS area? I see you are in Dallas, which is a decent drive away, but doesn't hurt to ask....

Being as the finish is still relatively good, just stained in some areas and a few small nicks, around the fittings and edges, I have to decide if I can live with it or not. This is of course a 97y/o tub, and just like any antique the flaws are part of the character. The problem is I wonder if it will look out of place with the shiny new hardware.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
No matter what,

Make sure that when you have that tub refinished, demand that they pull that chrome tub drainpiece out of the tub along with the overflow plate and finish to the factory edges.

I don't care if you're trim is brand spanking new, have them take it out and do it right.

I've found too many of these refinished where I'm the lucky guy who has to replace the trim on a tub and either a retrofit was installed over the old to cover it, and I have to get to that overflow assembly and do it right.

Then there's an edge between new and old which allows that stuff to peel right back up, at no fault of mine.

I like the tub refinishes that have a very minute texture to it that's almost impossible to see by eye, but you can feel it. Like a slight orange peel finish.

The prep part of these refinishing jobs makes these a good or no good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks