Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Posted for Bill.

Hi,
I was reading on the web your reponse to a gas leak... and have been having difficulty with minor gas leaks in my system.

I purchased a home that had been vacant for several years so the gas company is requiring that the pipes be tested prior to turning on the gas.

I am experienced in most phases of building... built my first house tested the pipes etc. So I went to test these pipes and found several obvious leaks that I repaired... as I repaired them more and more appeared to the point that I ended up taking the whole system apart and putting new pipe dope on every joint. While it passes the test for no visible drops at 3 psi for 1 hour(actually put 10 psi in the system using an air compressor) ... It seems to drop from 10psi to about 3-4 psi over a 24 hr period and lose all pressure over 48hrs??? But no leaks can be found using the soapy water inspection.

I haven't had the gas turned on yet... Is this something to worry about?

Thanks
Bill

Any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

Pump it to 10 psi and use Mr. Bubble to test for the leak. It will cling to the pipes for a longer period so small leaks may be easier to find. Have you checked the spot where the gauge is located and where you insert the air?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Gas Leaks

did you change out the gas stops????

are they still installed into their appliances or can you
test them with soap bubbles on the outlets of the stops....

that is most likely the problem..
the stops are not holding
pressure when they are off...

change out all the stops with new ball valve type gas stops

and it should hold forever.

Jrejre

Reaction score
I'm a DIY'er - so take my experience as such... I am nuts about gas leaks. I have tested various houses / systems and indeed have found the shutoff valves to almost always be the source of any leak-down. I first put in brass / iron plugs or caps at each place a valve is installed. Then test the system like that. If that's ok, then I'll put the valves back in. Sometimes I have just replaced all of them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas leak

In this area, before the gas company can turn on the meter, the city has to certify the test, and all gas valves have to be installed and in the "ON" position, and all gas flex lines connected to the valves and capped off.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Let me just add this 2 cents worth: There is no such thing as a "little" gas leak. Any leak is a big deal, and leaks:with an 's' , is a really big deal. You must get this right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks