20 lb propane quick disconnect adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

SmileyMn

Reaction score
Hello -

I have an 8 year old Weber Genesis gas grill with a 20 lb propane tank. The propane tank has the quick connect (quick disconnect) valve on it.

To use the grill, I pull back on the sleeve, insert the gas line hose into the propane tank valve and when the connection is made, the sleeve slides back.

I understand this is an older system that Weber used but has now discontinued.

I haven't had any problems having the tanks filled by a local gas station who has an onsite propane tank.

I've now bought a Saf-T-Fryer turkey fryer which has the new Type 1 gas hose and regulator. I believe this Type 1 gas connector is also called an Acme Nut with a 1/4" male pipe thread.

Does anyone know of an adapter I can get to use my old propane tanks with this new turkey fryer?

The adapter would have to be a Male plug quick adapter to I believe a 1/4" female (or whatever is the current connector on a new propane tank).

I was hoping to be able to continue using my 2 older propane tanks with the quick adapter valve and temporarily put on an adapter to occasionally use the turkey fryer.

Thanks for the assistance!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Propane tanks have a limited life span. The date of manufacture is stamped on the top of the tank. It is illegal to refill a tank after it has reached its expiration date. You will need to replace the old tanks. As far a the quick connect adapter, if it fits, use it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think the legal life of a tank is 10-years. They can be reconditioned and recertified, but buying a new one is often about the same price. You could probably take the older tank somewhere and they could remove the current valve and install a new one. Adapters might be found, but every extra gas connection is another place it could leak. A 20-pound propane tank has about the same energy as 8 sticks of dynamite (if I remember right). A leak before the regulator could make a really impressive blowtorch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks