PDA

View Full Version : No Hub Adapters

seaneys
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Hello,

The plumbing inspector is asking that I use a no-hub ADAPTER with the no-hug fitting in my dwv system. The connection is from 3" pvc to 3" pvc (not buried).

Are these a common fitting? They are not referred to on the Fernco site and the local plumbing supply store was not certain how they should be used.

Is there a special no-hub fitting / gasket for use with the adapters? The fernco no hub fittings look like they might be about 1/2 short.

Thanks a ton!

Thanks,
Steve

Terry
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
A no-hub coupling is a "shielded coupling" that prevents the pipes from "shifting",

seaneys
10-31-2008, 01:10 PM
A no-hub coupling is a "shielded coupling" that prevents the pipes from "shifting",

Hello,

He's asking me to use the no-hub fitting in conjunction with a no-hub adapter. I have not run into the adapter before. It is a pvc fitting that looks like it will help to prevent the ends of the pipe from moving.

I can not find anything about this on the web or my books.

Thanks a lot!

Steve

Terry
10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, that would be a nicer way of doing it. I think I may have seen "one". before.

Redwood
10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
What the inspector wants.... The inspector gets....

hj
10-31-2008, 07:07 PM
The bead would make a tighter connection, but good luck finding one. I have NEVER seen one in the past 5+ decades. I have used them for copper because of the disparity beteen the pipes' o.d.'s but never for schedule 40 PVC or ABS. BUT they could require a pipe specific transition coupling, with the lable on top so he can see the types of pipe it is sized for, instead of a No-Hub coupling.

palmstate
11-01-2008, 07:28 AM
The last company I worked for used them all the time.We did not transition from cast to pvc without them.

seaneys
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
I feel like throwing a party. The rough-in passed once I put in the no-hub adapters. My general contractor told me that the inspector failed two of his other jobs for the same reason I ran into.

The only other mistake I made was using a standard 90 degree bend when I went from horizontal to vertical (instead of a long bend). I can't believe I missed that.

This forum has been a huge help.

Steve

hj
11-29-2008, 06:43 AM
I have never even seen a PVC or ABS no hub adapter ANYWHERE I have ever been, not had an inspector even mention wanting one. A long turn elbow is needed to go from vertical to horizontal, not horizontal to vertical, so unless you are referring to an upstream transition, he was being unrealistic.