How to replace a candelabra socket in an outdoor light

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Hi,
Rather than buying new outdoor light fixtures, I've been revamping the old brass ones; cleaning them up nice.
However I have two lights; one at the front door and one at the garage door whose sockets don't work. There are multiple bulbs in each fixture and at least one other work in the fixture.
Is it feasible to replace the bad sockets? If so, where do I get them and what do I ask for ?

tip : about cleaning the brass - half white vinegar/half water and a tablespoon or two of salt. Bring to a boil. Pour over the fixtures in another container. Leave in for a couple hours. Just a little scrubbing afterwards with a course nylon pad. Spray four to six coats of clear lacquer on them, then re-install.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Somebody put the fixtures together so generally, you can take them apart.

Take them down turn the upside down and blow all the dirt and dead bug parts out. Sometimes this is enough to get them running again.

Better yet, use some CO2 in a can (keyboard cleaner) and you won't have to take them down.

If you feel that you want to replace the sockets, just look at how they are attached and unattach them ;)

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Any good local hardware store should have replacement lamp parts. Take the old ones out and bring them with you to match up.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be taking them apart because I will be cleaning them using the method noted above.
Southern man; that's what I needed to know; whether I can get replacements. 220/221, I'll trying cleaning them off good before I needlessly replace them though.
Thanks again for your help ! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks