View Full Version : what type of hose for a toe kick heater?

10-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Can I use a faucet hose, 30" steel braided over rubber, to tie in my toe kick heater? Or is there some special type of hose or this ?

10-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Depending upon the size of the heater, the typical faucet-supply hose might not allow enough flow ... but then it might be just right since you do not want excessive flow wearing out the insides of your overall plumbing anyway. Your question, however, is about whether or not the hose would hold up over time, and I would have been inclined to get a hose kit from the heater's manufacturer if I had not hard-plumbed my own heater. Whichever way you go, you should include a flow-control valve somewhere so you can have only just enough flow to keep the heat exchanger sufficiently supplied. I set the flow to my heater by watching a thermometer placed in front of it while reducing the flow until the output temp began to drop a bit, and then I opened the flow back up just enough to let the heater produce 100% of its ability.

10-26-2008, 05:33 AM
1/2" copper, type M or L. Thr rubber hose kits leak over time.

10-26-2008, 06:25 AM
nhmaster, I'm not sure I undertsand your response... Are you suggesting that I plumb it with copper only? If I could I would, the area it's going can not support that type of install. I'll also need to be able to move it once installed to allow for maintenence should it eve need it. A flexible install will allow for that.

10-26-2008, 06:50 AM
A faucet supply hose only has about a 1/4" i.d., not nearly adequate to provide heat. 3/4" stainless steel water heater connectors would work, although they are not really "flexible" to any great extent, and are probably larger than the piping you are using.