How to tell if water meter has a check valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

russosborne

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a water heater that is dripping from the temp/pressure valve. Probably 1 gallon a week. I read here about the newer heaters having problems and one concern is having a check valve in the water meter.
Now, some kickers. I am just a renter. In this city(Akron, Ohio) renters can't get water service, it has to stay in the name of the homeowner. So I don't know if they would even talk to me.
I think the landlord's son likely installed this water heater himself. He is an electician, but seems to be the one doing all the work here. There is no expansion tank installed. There is pvc from the t/p valve, but it only goes to about 6 inches above the basement floor, not to a drain or outside.

So far we are ok with the drip, now that I was able to determine it was coming from the t/p valve and not the tank itself. Ended up putting a bucket under the pipe, just have to remember to empty it before it gets too full. :(

I just want to try to determine what the cause of the drip is, to see if we have any real ammo to get the landlord to fix it. We did mention that it was leaking when we first moved in, the landlord didn't seem too concerned. The other option is to make sure to keep stuff off of the basement floor.

Thanks.
Russ

P.S.
Great forum, and I appreciate you guys letting diy'ers asking questions, as opposed to some other forums out there. Mainly the electrical one that I can only read since I am not an electrician, but they did give a link to this site. :D

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Water meters don't have bypass, but a pressure regulating valve on the house might. It is almost a non issue in terms of what we are talking about here. If the PRV has a bypass, then it will cap the max pressure in the house at the street pressure. But that is already too high, and the TP valve will probably weep first. If the dripping occurs when the water heater burner is running, then you might need an expansion tank. If it is more or less continuous, then the PRV is bad and needs to be replaced.

This condition should not be allowed to continue

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The way to check is to take pressure readings.
If the pressure is above 80 PSI. a PRV should be installed or, replaced.
If the pressure only goes high when water is heating or, a prv is installed, then an expansion tank is needed.

If the pressure is low and it leaks then the T&P needs replacing.

In any case this is a safety related issue and the proper functioning of the T&P is needed or, may be the only thing preventing your water heater from launching...:eek:

Water Heater Launch Video

Your Landlord needs to pay attention to this issue!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You pay rent so the land lord needs to take care of this. Why should you have to get involved in it at all? Call him every day untill he fixes the problem or refuse to pay the rent untill he does.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

Buy a cheap water pressure gauge at the hardware store. Screw it onto a hose faucet and open the faucet. The gauge will show the pressure. Then open a faucet in the house to see if the pressure drops. Whatever it shows at that time is the city or regulated pressure. Then wait a while to see if the pressure remains the same. If it does, then run enough hot water to turn the heater on and then observe the pressure. If it starts to increase as the water heats you have thermal expansion and need an expansion tank. As an aside, some water meters DO have an internal check valve to protect the city mains from local contamination caused by situations in the houses.

russosborne

Reaction score
Problem solved, thanks

Finally got the landlords son to come take a look(there was a miscommunication issue). He replaced the t/p relief valve, and the leaking has stopped.
Russ

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Call him every day untill he fixes the problem or refuse to pay the rent untill he does.

Calling every day is good but refusing to pay the rent is not unless you post it with the court...you can't just put it in your pocket and if the cost of the water is included in the rent then you can't do anything at all...except tell the LL that it is running all over the floor and is ruining his appartment.:D Remember...just tell him it is...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks