sanitary tee rules

Users who are viewing this thread

crawler

Contractor
Reaction score
I understand that is not allowed to use a sanitary tee when changing directions from vertical to horizontal but was wondering if there are any exceptions? If one were entering a 4" drain pipe from directly above?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No exception under UPC, that I am aware of. In the situation you ask about, why can't you just put in the wye and 45 ?

crawler

Contractor
Reaction score
No exception under UPC, that I am aware of. In the situation you ask about, why can't you just put in the wye and 45 ?

Unfortunatly I have already installed it wrong, with san-tees, looks like its time for the sawzall.What is the problem with using sanitary tees to change from vertical to horizontal, other than it being prohibited by code? I am located in rural Alaska and the only inspections are done by a banker for loan purposes..... chances are he won't even look at it.

will this actually cause problems?

Thanks for the input

crawler

Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks

I can visiulize difficulty in snaking from above, I have a cleanout on the horizontal line 2 feet away. I will probably just change it anyway, It is going to be a chalenge due to the lack of room.

You have my vote

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

The problem is with the material flowing in the pipe. When it comes down into a sanitary tee, which has only a hint of flow deflection, it will "crash" into the bottom of the pipe and then separate into its components and splash in all directions, destroying its smooth passage down the pipe. A combo or Y causes a smooth transition in direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks