Nat. Gas Piping to Barbeque

Users who are viewing this thread

Dino

Reaction score
I am pouring a new concrete slab patio next month. I have a gas line stubbed out the side of the house for a future barbeque. I need to extend the piping for the barbeque under the slab to it's final location prior to the placing concrete. What is the best way to accomplish this? Some time ago, I recall seeing something in the UPC about providing a sleeve, vented at each end, bla bla bla. A plumbing engineer I happend to be casually talking to recently mentioned using some kind of poly(something) tubing and direct burying it. Can you tell me anything about the stuff? Does it come in standard lengths with fittings, or do you buy it cut to length and glue-up fittings?

How far below a slab should it be buried?

BTW, great site! Your information about toilets was incredible helpful during our recent remodel.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Please, hire a licensed plumbing contractor to do this for you. The life you save may be your own.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The plastic gas pipe is the best choice for underground; it is fusion welded with special tools; NOT DIY.

If you plan to EVER possibly build an enclosed structure over that slab, then do not put gas pipe under unless local code allows the vented sleeve method.

Dino

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not a hell of alot of information on the web about gas piping! I came across a utility company in Michigan with a link to another company that will sell "cut to order" lengths of polyethylene tubing complete with fused fittings at each end to allow homeowner's, farmers, etc to install barbecues, patio heaters, etc. It all sounded pretty straight forward. Measure, order, bury/install, connect, and test. But that's Michigan!

I did open up the code book again and talked to the city. The building official at the city said that they do not allow gas piping under slabs, unless "absolutely necessary" And that piping under a building, porch, etc. needs to be installed in a vented conduit. She didnt know about an exterior slab. She also told me that PE is allowed buried outdoors.

I'm looking at to options:
1. Route the piping from the side of the house, under the length of the side-yard sidewalk to the barbeque. It's a direct path about 25' horizonally plus risers at each end.
2. Route the piping from the side of the house, under width of the side-yard sidewalk then under a planter bed along side of the sidewalk to the barbeque. It's about 30' horizonally plus risers at each end and a few bends.

The first option, the piping would seem to be protected under the slab. the second option, the piping is more accessible for repairs, but also more prone to damage - shovel, tree roots, increased moisture levels.

I will hire a professional to do this work. I just like to have clear in my own head what I'm asking him to do!

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Dino
If you hire a professional, he will no doubt have an opinion on how the line should be run, as well as what size it should be. Why his opinion should be valued is due to his experience. When you hire him, you don't just get his mechanical skills, you also get his knowledge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You bury the plastic pipe with a "tracer" wire so its location can be determined electronically before digging in the area. It is buried at least 24" deep so your shovel cannot get to it easily. It is also "tough" so you would really have to work at damaging it once you got that deep. It is impervious to water, and roots seldom, if ever, cause a problem. I do not know of any place that would all a PE gas pipe under a house, and a gas line to an island stove, would have to be installed according to some very, very, stringent requirements, if it was allowed at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks